Early enlistment has its advantages

Alex Hubbard, Colt Reporter
May 13, 2011

While some people wait for after high school or college to join the military, several people enlist while still in high school.

Although not every branch in the military recruits students as early as the Army does, all still have plans for enlistment during the senior year. The Army recruits juniors who are at least age 17. The Marines also have an age limit of 17, but they only recruit after June 1 following the junior year.

Enlistment varies in the different branches of the military because of either tradition, or maturity of the recruit. The Marines have an age limit of at least 17 for a reason according to Sergeant Humphreys, local Marine Corps recruiter. “We do this because suppose we did it like the Army, and let’s suppose you went to a party where some were using marijuana. You would be exposed to second hand smoke, and have an honorary discharge from the military before you even left high school.”

The Army on the other hand, wants juniors that are 17 to enlist. “We want them to enlist early so they can get used to the military life, and establish the basics for the military,” states Sergeant White, Texas National Guard recruiter.  “It is recommended that people enlist early, this way they have time to look at all the jobs available and time to pick what they want to do.”

Sergeant First Class Archer Texas National Guard says that he joined to fight.  “Everyone has reasons for why they want to enlist, and there are several jobs to match that reason. Like me for example, I wanted to fight, so I went infantry before I became a recruiter.”

Andrew Pierce, a sophomore at CHS plans to enlist early.   “I want to enlist early because it gives me time to explore my options, rather than joining after high school and jumping head first into a pool of crap you don’t know.”

Regardless of what people want to do in the military, enlisting early not only gets you started working, but puts you in the direction you want to go.  Early enlistment gives a new recruit the opportunity to get used to military life and to explore all of the options that are available to them in the armed forces. 

Editor’s Note:  Alex Hubbard is not presently on the staff of The Coronado Crest, but is completing Journalism I classes and hopes to be on the newspaper staff next year.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.