The news site of Coronado High School

The Coronado Crest

Graduation: yesterday and today

A senior from the first graduating class in 1966 receives his diploma.

El Viajerio yearbook

Samnatha Hallier, Editor-in Chief

This is the event every freshman thinks is an eternity away, and every senior thinks of to get them through the last year.  This event is high school graduation.

Every freshmen walking into Coronado on their first day can hardly consider the thought of graduating, mainly because they are too focused on how to get to their next class.  However, as I am sure many seniors would tell those freshmen, that the time flies fast and graduation will come sooner than expected. So try to cherish the times spent in the hallways and classrooms of Coronado, because you might just make some lasting memories and have fun doing it along the way.

Martha Head attended Coronado the first year it opened in 1965, it was her sophomore year.  During this time, high school only had three grades because the freshmen were at the junior highs.  She was among the class of 1968, and was a part of the first graduating class that had gone through all three years of high school at Coronado.

“I have many memories of my time I spent at Coronado,” Head said.

Because she attended Coronado the first year it opened Head helped in many decisions, such as making red and gold our school colors.  She even helped decide that the mustang would be the school mascot.

“First year was very interesting because half of the school wasn’t yet built,” Head said.

Head can remember walking the stage at the City Auditorium in her red cap and gown with a gold sash that she wore proudly because she was an honor student.

Martha Head attended Coronado when the school opened, her sophomore year.  When She graduated in 1968, graduation was still held at the City Auditorium.

Courtesy Martha Head
Martha Head attended Coronado when the school opened, her sophomore year. When She graduated in 1968, graduation was still held at the City Auditorium.

“Since I was an honor student, I got to sit in the front row and could see everything so well,” Head said “This was a big deal for me not only because I was being honored for my hard work, but I was short so I had trouble always seeing everything.”

During her senior year they were all offered the chance to buy a senior ring, just like the seniors of today are offered.

“They (senior rings) were all identical, except girls were just smaller,” Head said.

The girls paid $16 and the guys $20.  I’m sure all the parents wish that was the price of the senior rings now.

Whether it’s motivating the freshmen to work hard to achieve good grades, or just a reminder to the seniors that high school is almost over, graduation is an event to look forward to.  Graduation is a way to celebrate all your high school hard work and accomplishments, and provides a nice transition to your next journey.