The news site of Coronado High School

Mustangs cross Bulldogs off the list

Shaydon Bonner

Quarterback Qua Gray smiles and points to his team after completing a pass during the 1st quarter on Thursday night at Plains Capital Park. The Mustangs defeated the Plainview Bulldogs 30-23.

Shaydon Bonner, Photo Editor

The varsity football team started their season with a thrilling win against the Plainview Bulldogs Thursday night with a final score of 30-23. Countless number of hours of practice, hard work, and dedication have made this year’s group of athletes a strong team.

Wide receiver Noah Sifrit started the Mustangs off with a 22 yard run, his first touchdown of his senior year, into the end zone to make the lead 6-0. Chance Fair kicked to get the extra point to make it 7-0.

“It was a special feeling scoring the first touchdown of the year,” Sifrit said. “Seeing the excitement in the crowd and my teammates was the best part.

With eight returning players on the defensive side, Coronado dominated against the Plainview offense.

The Mustangs managed to run back a Plainview fumble 54 yards and force a Plainview kick to make the score 14-3 at half.

In the second half Chance Fair kicked and made a touchdown to strengthen their lead, however just when the Mustangs thought they had it in the bag, things started working for the Bulldogs and gave a Coronado a scare.

The Bulldogs ended up scoring two touchdowns to bring the score to 30-23, but the Mustangs still held onto to lead to win the game.

This first game not only gave Coronado a W in the record book but, according to Coach Walser, “a great momentum to start the season off to get us rolling throughout the rest of the season.”

The Mustangs prepare for their next opponent, Wichita Falls Ryder. The game kicks off Friday in Wichita Falls at 7:30 p.m.