The news site of Coronado High School

The Coronado Crest

Coronado Softball

Cat McGrew, Mustang Media Staff

From the left: Victoria Gutierrez, Brianna Salas, Addison Damron, Alijah Rivera, Amanda Mendez. The ladies plan their next move to lead their team to victory.

Everyone has something that pushes them forward, for Coronado’s softball players, the motivation is their dedication to the team. Being a freshman and being new to high school softball must be a big change.

“Batting cages are one of the things that helps us get involved and better.” Freshman Kai McGrew said, “It helps me get ready for our upcoming season.”

The girls on the softball team practice every day from 4:15 to 6:15 after school, even though it’s off-season. The team runs drills on hitting, throwing and running bases.

“So far our season is going really good,” freshman Shayla Hopkins said. “I just can’t wait until softball season comes.”

Now that they’ve played games against Cooper, Frenship, Idalou and other cities, the softball team has come together as a whole to better themselves. In the beginning of March, Coronado softball had their first tournament in Seagraves.

This year, Kai McGrew and Madison Zaccardo hit home runs with several RBIs to follow through for the win on the gold team.

“Playing high school softball has always been my dream,” McGrew said. “Now that I’m on Gold, I’ve kind of achieved that goal.”

McGrew started playing softball when she was 8 years old. Her little league coach still comes to her games when he can. Being a freshman, one would think she wouldn’t have much experience, but she played summer softball with a travel team. They practiced batting, pitching and fielding four days of the week.

Coronado’s softball team has put all of their time and effort into this season, and so far it has been successful. Next time you see a softball player be sure to wish them luck!