The news site of Coronado High School

The opportunity of a lifetime

Two students visit New York City for a week

Students Mason Carroll and Katy Zimmerman, with advisers Carol Alonzo and Kenneth Dixon, on the set of CBS with Scott Pelley.

Mason Carroll, Editor-in-Chief

The florescent lights surrounded us. Taxies dashed by screeching and honking. People walked almost shoulder to shoulder, yet still kept to their own. It was going to be a life changing experience.

I had dreamed about the Scott Pelley trip since my freshman year, and now going into my senior year I got to live that dream.

Every year Scott Pelley awards two LISD students with the opportunity to attend a week long journalism workshop at Columbia University in New York City. Katy Zimmerman and I were this year’s lucky students.

Pelley attended Coronado High School and graduated from Texas Tech University. He presents this opportunity as a way to give back to the school and town that gave him his start.

Students flying into New York

Students flying into New York

We flew to New York Saturday June 18th and would return Saturday the 25th. Thanks to our two advisors who traveled with us, Carol Alonzo and Kenneth Dixon, we were able to experience everything New York had to offer.

After flying for most of the day Saturday, we reached our destination, New York City. The reckless driving of our Super Shuttle driver, that we thought was going to kill us, was our first taste of the city.

Butler Library on campus

Butler Library on campus

The Columbia campus was gorgeous and elegant. While the dorms were like any college dorm, small and rundown but efficient, the stunning architecture on campus made up for it.

The first class Sunday began at 5 p.m. so we were able to explore Times Square, visit Broadway, and take a two and a half hour boat tour, all before our class started.

The class instructors introduced us to new ways of looking at story angles and the importance of ethical journalism.

Monday night we toured the CBS studio and watched the program live from the control room. Afterward we met Scott Pelley on the set, took some pictures, then the Pelley’s took us to dinner.

We learned about Mr. Pelley’s life, career, and how he got to where he is today. He gave his wisdom and advice to students who dream of having a career like his.

Inside the control room at CBS

Inside the control room at CBS

Throughout the week we saw a Broadway play, watched the Today Show live and outside their window, explored Central Park, walked through the Museum of Natural History, and toured the 9/11 Museum and Memorial.

Every aspect of New York was breathtaking and unforgettable.  It was an experience like no other and an opportunity that comes once in a life time.

All of this was given to two small town girls by a famous anchor, reporter, and writer, who got his start at our school.

Editor-In-Chief of the Coronado Crest shows Scott Pelley the school magazine.

1 Comment

One Response to “The opportunity of a lifetime”

1. Ann Hill on August 3rd, 2016 8:19 am

I am so proud of you and happy for you!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The news site of Coronado High School
The opportunity of a lifetime