The news site of Coronado High School

The Coronado Crest

The Coronado Crest: then and now

Trying to meet their deadlines for the upcoming issue of The Coronado Crest are reporters Jackie Greenlee, Sharon Gray, Jill Medlin and Marilyn Esposito.  In 1968-69 the school newspaper was only in its third year of existence but still won the State Championship for high school newspapers.

El Viajero 1968

Trying to meet their deadlines for the upcoming issue of The Coronado Crest are reporters Jackie Greenlee, Sharon Gray, Jill Medlin and Marilyn Esposito. In 1968-69 the school newspaper was only in its third year of existence but still won the State Championship for high school newspapers.

Samantha Hallier, Editor-in-Chief

Coronado has come a long way since the opening of the school fifty years ago in 1965.  The school has grown in more ways than one.  Keeping up with the rest of the schools advancements, the Coronado Crest has made leaps and bounds by advancing every part of the newspaper production throughout the years.

The way the newspaper was produced fifty years ago differs quite a bit from how we produce our newspaper today.  Bobby Hutto was the head photographer for the Crest in 1969.  The photographers back when the school first opened had to carry a lot more equipment than they do now.

“We had a huge flash that attached to the camera and a heavy battery that you had to strap over our shoulder,” Mr. Hutto said.  “It was a lot of stuff to carry, but we got some great photos out of it.” In order to produce a photograph there was a series of steps that had to be followed or the photograph could be ruined.  Coronado had a room where they would develop the film called a dark room.

In order to develop the film the room had to be completely dark.  First the students would load the film onto a reel and put the reel into a tank that had acid that would develop the film.  They would then pour out the development solution and pour in an acid that would stop the film from developing.

After this they would wash and dry the film.  To develop the film into a photograph they basically followed the same steps except at the beginning they would load the film into a machine called an enlarger, then they would follow the same steps they did to develop the film.

Reporters Cathe Thompson, Molly Thompson, Dianne Hatchet and Danielle Manning discuss story ideas for the upcoming issue of The Crest in 1968.

El Viajero 1968

This process is a lot more complicated than the process the Crest photographers have today to develop a photo.  Now the students do not even have to worry about film.  They have the luxury of digital cameras, where all they have to do is download the photos onto the computer.

The appearance of the newspaper is another way the Crest has grown over the years.  Fifty years ago the paper was like any other newspaper.  The paper was issued every two weeks and students paid a subscription fee of $1 per semester to receive the newspaper.  Now the Crest has a sleek modern look with glossy pages that make the newspaper more colorful and exciting.

One thing that has not changed over the years for the Crest is the opportunities it provides for the students.  The Crest allows the students to be a part of events that they will remember forever, and if they were not a part of the Crest, they might not have been given those opportunities.

Mr. Hutto had the pleasure of meeting Pat Boone, a famous singer in the 50’s and 60’s.  Hutto received a backstage pass for after his concert just so he could take pictures of Mr. Boone.  Mr. Hutto also received the opportunity to take pictures of Richard Nixon and Edmond Muskie when they came to Lubbock on a presidential campaign in 1968.

The Crest is a way for the students to get involved with different groups at Coronado, by writing or taking pictures of events.

“I never would have been able to attend so many school functions if it wasn’t for the Crest,” Hutto said.  “I rode with the football team almost every game.”

Although some things have changed over the years for the Crest, some things will never change.  The newspaper is still a student publication, managed and operated by students.  The faculty advisor, Mr. Hill, does not make the decisions about what is in the paper.  He serves as an adult guide to make sure that the publication is factual and that students are provided with the resources they need to produce a quality publication.

Bob Hutto was a photographer for The Coronado Crest during the 1968-1969 school year.  Because of his position on the school newspaper, he had the opportunity to meet several famous celebrities.

El Viajero 1968
Bob Hutto was a photographer for The Coronado Crest during the 1968-1969 school year. Because of his position on the school newspaper, he had the opportunity to meet several famous celebrities.

Many students who have served on the staff of The Crest have gone on to college and to jobs in the media.  the most famous alumni of The Crest is Scott Pelley, class of 1975, who is the news director of “60 Minutes” and the news director and anchor of “The CBS Evening News”.

Many staffers, just like Pelley,  leave Coronado and go on to study Media and Communications at Texas Tech University.  Each year the staff of The Crest is treated to a field trip to the Media and Communications college at Texas Tech to hear about the many opportunities available in the media field.