The Coronado Crest

• Varsity Boys Basketball Home Game November 27 vs. Midland Lee @ 7:30 p.m.

• Varsity Football Playoff Game November 16 @ Lowrey Field 7 p.m. vs. El Paso Chapin

• Thanksgiving Break November 19th-23rd

Coronado introduces AP Capstone

New program will be offered to juniors in 2016-2017

AP English teacher Kathy Appleton announces the addition of the new AP Capstone program to Coronado next year.  The Capstone program is a new offering from College Board that will prepare students for college level work.

Kelci Harcrow

AP English teacher Kathy Appleton announces the addition of the new AP Capstone program to Coronado next year. The Capstone program is a new offering from College Board that will prepare students for college level work.

Mason Carroll, Managing Editor

The AP Capstone program was introduced to Coronado today. Coronado principal Dr. Jerry Adams and AP English teacher Kathy Appleton made the announcement this afternoon in the Coronado library.

Capstone is a new type of AP learning with classes that will help students develop critical skills and stand out on college applications. The addition of this program to the Coronado curriculum is the result of a year’s worth of work on the part of Mrs. Appleton.

Coronado is the first school in West Texas and one of one hundred schools in the world to have this program. Students take an AP Seminar class and the following year they will take an AP Research class.

“We’re so excited for Coronado to continue with its mission to prepare students to be college ready, career ready, and life ready,” Dr. Adams said. “This AP Capstone program really highlights what our movement is all about.”

The AP Capstone is an extension of the AP program already in place at Coronado. For students to earn the AP Capstone Diploma they must make a 3 or higher on the AP Research and AP Seminar tests and also on four additional AP exams of the student’s choice.

“We are the very first school in the area to offer it; in fact the program has just been piloted beginning in 2014,” Appleton said. “The first students anywhere to graduate with this program will graduate this coming May. So right now there are no students who have this diploma, it is completely brand new.”

The upcoming junior class will be the first to be able to take this course. It is a two year course that does not count as a core class, but it is a weighted class, so it will count for five points on the grade scale. The AP Capstone program will help many students prepare for college.

For more information on this program, visit www.collegeboard.org/capstone or contact your school counselor.