The Coronado Crest

• CHS Football game October 12th vs. Amarillo High 7:30 p.m. at Plains Capital Park

• CHS Volleyball game October 12th home at 6:30 p.m

• CHS Volleyball game Oct. 9th at Lubbock High 6:30 p.m.

• Student holiday October 22, 2018

• SAT test date October 10th, 2018

Teacher spotlight – Cliff Wilke

Illustration by Cliff Wilke

Illustration by Cliff Wilke

Mason Carroll, Managing Editor

Cliff Wilke is a new art teacher this year. While he faced many of the obstacles that new teachers do, he also faced another set of problems. He came in half way through the first semester into classes that were used to having sub after sub and had no clue who he was.

“I was just coming into something completely different,” Wilkie said. “I was expecting to get a job next school year, but I’m just so happy and blessed to have this job.”

Mr. Wilkie’s love for art started at a very young age. Because of a growth in his foot at age four that prevented him from walking, he was confined to a wheelchair at a young age. He kept himself occupied with coloring books.

“I just had to sit in a wheel chair all day and that was pretty boring to me,” Wilkie said. “My mom bought me a bunch of coloring books and I soon got bored with the coloring books so I started drawing what was in the coloring books.”

He wanted a challenge that was more than just coloring a picture given to him. He wanted to make his own picture.

“I asked my mom for just some white paper so I could draw what was in the coloring books and whatever else I wanted to draw,” Wilkie said. “So that really started my love for art.”

Working with children is another love Mr. Wilkie has. He previously worked at the Children’s Home of Lubbock for four years.

“Kids coming from backgrounds that most people can’t even image,” Wilkie said. “But that’s pretty rewarding. Just being able to be a part of their lives and be some kind of a positive influence and what a man should be. I think that was my main inspiration for working with kids.”

Before teaching at Coronado, Mr. Wilkie worked with high school kids in New York. Many who came from homeless shelters, jail, and the system. His goal was to provide a positive male role model to kids who wouldn’t necessarily have it.

“A lot of kids these days don’t have father figures in their lives and that’s really, really important for kids,” Wilkie said. “I was blessed to grow up with my dad through my whole life and I think that’s what saved me.”

It was a surprise to him whenever he got the job teaching and would be coming in during the middle of the semester.

“I didn’t think I’d be getting a teaching job because it was bad timing in the middle of the semester for a teaching job,” Wilkie said. “So I wasn’t even ready to teach, mentally or physically.”

Even though it was an odd time of year and Mr. Wilkie was about to dive head first into the unknown, he stepped up and took the job.

“It was crazy especially for an unorganized person like myself,” Wilkie said. “The last grade I taught was elementary so I knew I was stepping into a totally different situation.”

Mr. Wilkie has enjoyed his experience at Coronado. He like the unique students and the challenges they bring.

“I like how diverse it is, there’s not one main type of student,” Wilkie said “I just like the diversity where all the different students are coming from and their different back grounds. I really don’t mind all the different personalities. I like for things to be interesting.”

For the rest of the year and for the remainder of his time at Coronado, Mr. Wilkie wants to impact his students in a way that goes beyond just the classroom.

“In the future I’m hoping to create a more creative atmosphere,” Wilkie said. “Not even artistic but just to get students thinking creatively. If I can provide that for just one student that didn’t have that opportunity before then I’ve done my job.”