The news site of Coronado High School

The Coronado Crest

School Receives National Recognition for High Performance

LISD TV

Kacie Roth

Autumn Hoskins, Editor

Coronado High School has been selected as a National Demonstration School by AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination), a nonprofit organization that provides educators with proven, real-world strategies so that all students across the entire campus success in college, career, and life.

The school joins approximately 150 other AVID National Demonstration Schools and was selected through an application process, screening, and review, which included a site visit.  AVID is implemented in over 5,600 schools in 44 states, the District of Columbia, and 16 other countries/territories and impacts almost 1.3 million students annually in grades K-12 and postsecondary institutions.

AVID Chief Executive Officer Sandy Husk, PhD, notes the significance of attaining Demonstration site recognition.

“Schools recognized as National Demonstration Sites have proven their ability to successfully implement the AVID Elective course and take the strategies schoolwide to impact all students,” Husk said.  “Coronado High School was selected as an AVID National Demonstration School because it has implemented the AVID System throughout the school and can serve as a model for new AVID sites.”

As part of the AVID Demonstration Sites Network, sites are expected to develop a model program with schoolwide participation.  With AVID’s proven methodologies used throughout subject-area classes, performance levels improve for all students, but especially for those students who are least likely to attend four-year colleges.  Schools from around the world that are preparing to implement the AVID System will visit Demonstration Schools, such as Coronado High School, to observe a highly evolved AVID System.

Dr. Jerry Adams, Coronado High School Principal, is pleased that the school was chosen as an AVID National Demonstration School, noting the impact of the program on staff and students.

“It’s a tremendous honor to be selected as a National Demonstration School because the use of AVID strategies has positively impacted students and teachers and we continue to see a more engaged and college-ready student body,” Adams said.

Coronado AVID Coordinator Kacie Roth believes that the distinction will have great benefits to the school in the future.

“It means that we’re an elite showcase now so people will come from all over the United States to learn how we implement our strategies and develop the culture on our campus,” Roth said.  “We’ll be able to show off our student leadership and all the great things that make us Coronado.”