The Coronado Crest

• Winter Break December 22-January 7

Veterans Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Veterans Day

Autumn Laine Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief

Ever wonder how Veterans Day got started and what exactly it is?

Veterans Day used to be called “Armistice Day” when it originated back in 1919 on November 11 for the first anniversary of the end of World War I. In 1926, Congress passed a resolution for an annual observance for Veterans which led to the national holiday of November 11 starting in 1938. In 1954, Veterans Day officially became “Veterans Day” rather than “Armistice Day” when President Dwight D. Eisenhower decided to change the name.

There was a time when Veterans Day was not on November 11. In 1968, the Uniform Holidays Bill¹ was passed by Congress, which moved the celebration of Veterans Day to the fourth Monday in October. The law went into effect in 1971, but in 1975 President Gerald Ford returned Veterans Day to November 11, due to the important historical significance of the date.

America is not the only country that recognizes their veterans. Great Britain, France, Australia, and Canada also recognize veterans of WWI and WWII. Though, some do not recognize it on November 11, but rather on a date near then. Also, some countries do not call the holiday “Veterans Day.” Canada has “Remembrance Day” and Britain has “Remembrance Sunday,” which is on the second Sunday of November. Although, it is common in Great Britain as well as Europe and Commonwealth, for people to observe two minutes of silence at 11 a.m. every November 11.

No matter how it is recognized or what it Is called, Veterans Day is an important day to remember. Never forget to thank our veterans for fighting for our country.

Thank you to our veterans from the Coronado Mustangs!

We greatly appreciate your service.

We will always remember what you have done for our country.

We salute you.

¹

In 1968 Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Bill, which moved a number of federal holidays to Mondays. The change was designed to schedule certain holidays so that workers had a number of long weekends throughout the year, but it has been opposed by those who believe that those holidays should be celebrated on the dates they actually commemorate.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Presidents-Day#ref910941

All facts provided by: https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/veterans-day-facts

About the Writer
Autumn Laine Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief

Hello wonderful people! I am Autumn Laine Hoskins, the Editor-in-Chief of the Coronado Crest this 2018-2019 school year. I am a senior this year so this...