The Coronado Crest

• Winter Break December 22-January 7

Stanek Twirls into Spotlight

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stanek Twirls into Spotlight

Heaven Rossette, Staff Writer

When sophomore Kirby Stanek entered Coronado in 2017 everything changed, she became the first twirler Lubbock ISD has had for years.

“I started when I was five and I knew that this was something I wanted to do for a long time,” Stanek said.

Although Stanek is the only high school twirler in Lubbock, she has a large following of family and friends standing beside her every step of the way.

“It is super cool, I love being part of the band and having fun with my friends,” Stanek said. “I do get nervous before performing, but talking to my friends from band helps me get out the pre-game jitters.”

Stanek`s parents also play a vital role in supporting her dream.

“My parents have been there for me since I was five,”Stanek said.  “There have been many hard times and my parents are always there to help me get through everything.”

Becoming the first at anything is always hard; especially, if you’re the only person to be in the program. From choosing a coach all the way up to choosing routines had to be carefully planned for Friday night and national performances.

“I just had to go talk to our head band director Mr. Shaw about performing in the band,” Stanek said. “He knew that I have been twirling since I was five and saw my talent in middle school,” Stanek said. “I practice with the band every chance I get. I love being part of the band, It is super cool.”

Although she performs for high school during football season, in the summer Stanek competes nationally and performs against the top twirlers in the nation.

“ I practice everyday for 3 hours during the summer,” Stanek said. “When I prepare for nationals its non-stop hard work.”

A role model is a person who inspires others to do better.  There is one person in particular who inspires Stanek to chase her dreams the most.

“My good friend, Sydney Webster inspires me. She was the feature twirler at Texas Tech and when I watched her, I decided  I wanted to keep moving forward with it. I just think that it was meant to be,” Stanek said.